A read receipt is a confirmation message that confirms that the recipient has opened your email. Microsoft Outlook has an exciting feature to request read receipts from the email recipient. Do you know how to add read receipt in Outlook? If you do not know about the feature this article is only for you. Go through the article below to learn detail about the read receipt in Outlook.
But you cannot force the reader to respond to the read receipt. There may be two scenario
- If the recipient’s email program does not support read receipt, you will not receive the report.
- If the recipient is using Microsoft Outlook, he can decilne to send the response.
Whatever the scenario is, you can request if you are a Microsoft Outlook user. Here is how you can do that.
Learn More: The best Outlook view settings
How to add read receipt in Outlook
- Go to the File tab, and click on Options.
- Select Mail from the left side.
- Scroll down and find Tracking.
- Select the check box marked #3 in the above screenshot.
You also have some options available, like
- Always send a read receipt.
- Never send a read receipt.
- Ask each time whether to send a read receipt.
Always send a read receipt
If you select this option, it will send the read receipt request with all sent emails from your Outlook automatically. You do not need to choose it all the time. Once you select this option means it is set for all emails.
Never send a read receipt
If you choose this option all your sent emails will be delivered without a read receipt request. Your recipient will not receive any read receive requests.
Ask each time whether to send a read receipt
When you choose this option Outlook will ask whether you want to send a read receipt request or not. You will have an option every time you send an email.
There are more options you may choose.
- For meeting requests and polls the read-receipt request will send automatically.
- Automatically update the original sent item with receipt information.
- You can update tracking information.
- You can store all read receipt responses in a specific folder.
All these are common settings for all emails. If you want to add a read receipt to a single email or a group email are there any options?
How to add a read receipt to a single email in outlook
Yes, you can add a read receipt request to a single email in Outlook. When you are preparing an email in Outlook go to the Options tab, Under the Tracking group you may find the options to request a read receipt.
How to add a read receipt in the Outlook toolbar
You do not need to add this command in the ribbon as it is built-in. I know you are surprised. Don’t be surprised at all. When you click on a new email message. You will find the read-receipt request in the Options tab under the tracking tab. See the screenshot below. This is the option where you can apply the read receipt for a single email or for a group email. No worries.
When a read receipt request is failed?
If your email recipient’s email program does not support read receipt requests your read receipt request may fail. And also please remember that once you have sent an email message there is no option to attach a read receipt later. You have to select this option before sending an email.
Dear readers, the article on how to add read receipt in outlook is hopefully helpful to you. If you have any more queries please feel free to post in our comments. Thank You very much.